Thursday, October 03, 2002

WEST COAST PORT SHUTDOWN
I'm ususally the first in line to say how lazy, overpaid, and corrupt union workers are, but something does strike me as not quite correct. Most publications are reporting the annual wages of the dockworkers at $80,000 to $150,000, including The L.A. Times and The New York Times (actually NYT is reporting wages as high as $158,000).

This pay range appears so exorbitant that I suspect most of the dockworkers are on the low end of the annual pay range, and these dockworkers are working a lot of overtime. I also suspect that the media has been too lazy to independently confirm these figures, so I don't know what to believe.

Because the annual pay ranges being reported are so outrageous, most Americans probably have very little sympathy with the dockworkers, which I certainly don't have a problem with. I'm simply surprised that the left-wing media would present the dockworkers' pay in such a negative way, when there is an opportunity to present the data without mentioning $150,000. I guess journalists' inability to understand even the most basic statistics is preventing the data from being presented in another way.

Username: sabertooth1. Password: sabertooth1.