Saturday, August 31, 2002

THE CEREAL CRITIC: THIS MONTH’S BREAKFAST CEREAL REVIEWS
My friends and family know I’m a big fan of breakfast cereal. On occasion, I help out the community by providing guidance on selecting breakfast cereal for your family’s and your breakfast enjoyment. Here, I review three recent additions to the cereal marketplace.

I don’t understand the name of Kellogg’s Special K Red Berries, considering the cereal’s only berry is freeze-dried strawberries. Maybe Kellogg’s is keeping its options open in case the price of Strawberries gets too expensive, and they can substitute cheaper “red berries.” I don’t care for regular Special K, and don’t buy it, but Special K Red Berries is delicious. Kellogg’s was generous with the quantity of berries in the box. Excellent. 3 1/2 spoons out of 4.

It didn’t take long for Post to come out with a similar strawberry cereal. Post’s Honey Bunches of Oats with Real Strawberries is even better than the new Special K. It’s been on sale every week for the past two months, usually for only $2.19 for a 13-ounce box. Outstanding. This is Cranberry Almond Crunch-quality cereal, only it doesn’t cost $1 per bowl. 4 spoons out of 4.

As much as I enjoy Quaker’s Cap’n Crunch, Crunchberries, and Peanut Butter Crunch, the new brand extension, Cap’n Crunch’s Choco Donuts, is unsatisfactory. I could just barely taste the chocolate flavor. 1 spoon out of 4. If you want a breakfast cereal with a good chocolate taste, I recommend Kellogg’s Cocoa Krispies or Post’s Cocoa Pebbles. If you want a lighter chocolate taste mixed with a good frosting taste, I recommend Post’s Oreo’s O’s cereal.

The Onion WROTE a funny satire about a father buying his kids bagged cereal. It should be noted that independent studies--not conducted by the breakfast-cereal industrial complex--have shown that parents who buy bargain-brand cereal don’t love their children.