Monday, September 09, 2002

MORE FLEECING OF AMERICAN TAXPAYERS
I know most people don't want to make this type of comment, now that New York City firefighters, police officers, and emergency personnel have become "heroes," but HUNDREDS OF FIREFIGHTERS involved in the World Trade Center's rescue and recovery are now on medical leave or light duty. I knew this would happen even as I heard interviews with rescue personnel last September stating, "There's no place I'd rather be," and "I'll work at this site until all of the bodies are recovered or until I drop dead." "Stress-related" disorders among New York's firefighters have increased 17-fold since the attacks.

HUNDRED OF NEW YORK CITY FIREFIGHTERS HAVE RETIRED in the past year to take advantage of higher pension benefits from working overtime after the WTC attacks. Pensions are determined by income earned in the previous 12 months. New York City police officers did the same thing.